Family Planning Alliance Australia (FPAA)
SHFPACT is a member of Family Planning Alliance Australia (FPAA), Australia's peak body focussed on advocacy and policy development to improve the reproductive and sexual health of Australians. SHFPACT is a Primary Member, along with seven other State/Territory-based family, reproductive and sexual health organisations, who have collectively and individually shaped the reproductive and sexual health landscape through advocacy, policy development, networking and capacity building at the national and international level for more than forty years. FPAA works collaboratively with non-government organisations, governments and the private sector to lead policy changes and advocate for improved reproductive and sexual health rights.
FPAA Values and Ethos
- We value collaboration and partnership
- We respect personal autonomy and diversity
- We promote social justice and equity
- We value expertise and evidence
- We believe that human sexuality is an integral part of life.
- Everyone has the right to express their sexuality, provided they do not violate the rights of others.
- We encourage the right of all people to self-determination and personal autonomy in the control of their fertility and to the enjoyment of satisfying and responsible sexual expression.
- Everyone has the right to make informed choices about sexuality and to take responsibility for their own reproductive and sexual health.
- Everyone has the right to equitable access to reproductive and sexual health care services.
- Everyone has the right to unbiased and up-to-date information about reproductive and sexual health matters
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
Through our membership of FPAA, SHFPACT is affiliated to the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) , a global network of member organisations that provide services and advocacy in the area of sexual and reproductive health, in 180 countries.
- believes that sexual and reproductive rights should be internationally recognised as human rights and therefore guaranteed for everyone.
- encourages individuals, women in particular, to take control of their reproductive lives.
- promotes equality between men and women, aiming to eliminate gender biases, especially those that threaten the well-being of women and girls.
- Above all we promote choices.
Approximately 32 million visits a year are made to over 58,000 IPPF facilities worldwide. The services provided for these users include counselling, gynaecological care, HIV-related services, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections, infertility services, mother and child health, emergency contraception and abortion-related services.
Funding Bodies & Supporters
Sexual Health and Family Planning ACT (SHFPACT) gratefully acknowledges the financial support received from its founders and supporters.
- Health Directorate
- Community Services Directorate (Disability ACT)
- Education & Training Directorate
- Dept of Health & Ageing
Sexual Health and Family Planning ACT (SHFPACT) received promotional considerations from the following companies and organisations:
- Merck Sharpe Dome
- Bayer Healthcare
- Ansell Australia