CLIENT INFORMATION CLIENTS RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Clients have the right to:
- Clear, respectful, equitable and honest communication
- Be treated with courtesy and consideration
- Retain personal dignity and privacy
- Access their personal file
- Detailed information in relation to a condition, treatment, side effects and possible outcomes in order to make informed choices.
- Autonomy in making informed decisions
- Participate actively in their health care, including the right to decide whether or not to comply with action plans and treatment programs which have been chosen in consultation with their health care provider
- Consent to, or refuse treatment, including participation in educational or research programs which may involve care given by clinical trainees.
Clients have a responsibility to:
- Arrive for appointments on time. If a client arrives late for an appointment, they may be asked to reschedule the appointment for another time in order to avoid delays for other clients attending the clinic
- Notify the clinic if they are unable to attend. Please note that SHFPACT has a 2 hour cancellation policy. If you fail to cancel an appointment with less than 2 hours’ notice, SHFPACT reserves the right to charge you the cost of the appointment or a $50.00 late cancellation/no show fee
- Be sure they have a clear understanding of the details of their consultation including any condition and/or treatment
- Provide details of relevant past medical history
- Follow treatment and action plans including attendance for follow up, investigations, medical imaging (ultrasounds, scans, Xrays) and specialists’ appointments within the time frame advised by the health care provider.
- Treat SHFPACT staff with courtesy and consideration
STAFF AT SHFPACT
The SHFPACT clinic is staffed by a team of doctors, nurses and receptionists.
Doctors see all clients who have a reproductive or sexual health problem, specifically those who require a procedure or treatment.
Nurses with a Certificate in Reproductive and Sexual Health provide services to asymptomatic clients who require routine screening and contraception advice or administration.
Different conditions require varying appointment times. Most appointments are 15 or 30 minutes.
New clients are asked to arrive 10 minutes before the start of their appointment to complete paperwork which includes general information and a medical questionnaire. Should the booked time be inadequate to provide care to matters arising within the consultation, clients are requested to make an appointment for a return visit so these needs can be met.
SHFPACT is a Registered Training Organisation, offering training programs to both doctors and nurses. SHFPACT is committed to providing training for community health professionals, to ensure there is wider access to Sexual and Reproductive Health services within the community.
On some occasions there may be a doctor, nurse, medical student or student midwife present in the clinic completing SHFPACT practical training, or doing observational placements.
Doctor and nurse trainees undertaking SHFPACT training are fully qualified, with experience in their profession. Trainees on a clinical placement may perform procedures, under the close supervision of a SHFPACT doctor or nurse.
Medical students and student midwives participate in observational placements as part of their degree. Students on observational placements act only as an observer during a consultation.
Clients will be asked if they are agreeable to having a trainee or student present at their consultation, and where there is a trainee, if the trainee will be in an active role.
Whilst client consent to having a trainee or student present is appreciated, client refusal will be respected.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY
All consultations at SHFPACT are confidential. We encourage you to speak to your health care provider or our receptionists if you are unsure why information is being collected, or do not understand how it is relevant to your care.
If you have arranged for someone to meet you after an appointment, or to act on your behalf, you will need to advise SHFPACT accordingly. SHFPACT will not disclose information about your use of our clinical services (including your attendance) to partners, parents/guardians (unless a Guardianship Order is in place relating to your use of health services), friends or others without your consent.
- Monday Closed
- Tuesday 9.00am - 5.00pm
- Wednesday: 9.00am - 6.30pm
- Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm
- Friday: 9.00am - 12.30pm
SHFPACT offers concessional rates for:
- Concession Card Holders
- Young people under 21; and
- Full time students up to 25 years
SHFPACT also offers special members’ discount rates for consultations at the SHFPACT clinic and Canberra Menopause Centre.
Please speak to our reception team about fees when making your appointment, and they will advise you of the likely cost of your consultation.