DOING ‘IT’ FOR THE FIRST TIME
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS WHO DELIVER SEXUALITY AND RELATIONSHIPS EDUCATION
DOING ‘IT’ FOR THE FIRST TIME is a pilot professional development course designed to increase teacher skill and confidence in delivering sexuality and relationships education in schools.
The course will cover:
- Comprehensive Sexuality and Relationships Education (CSRE): What is it and why is it important?
- Addressing barriers to delivering CSRE effectively
- Skills of effective CSRE teachers
- Age and stage appropriate content linked to The Australian Curriculum
- Insights from young people: What do they want and need?
- Health education frameworks
- Inclusive CSRE: considering diversity in the classroom
- Finding, assessing and using quality resources
- Responding to emerging trends/concerns
All teachers will spend the introductory and final session together. Primary and Secondary teachers will be divided for the middle three sessions so as to best cover appropriate content and strategies for pre-adolescents or adolescents.
The five 2-hour sessions will be interactive and engaging, giving you the opportunity to participate in group activities that can be used with students in the classroom, and to reflect on your teaching practice. You will receive a certificate upon completion as well as a complementary “Friends of SHFPACT” membership (Friends of SHFPACT receive discounted clinical consultations, bookshop purchases, & discounted or free tickets to SHFPACT special events).
To contribute to the continuous improvement of this course, participants will be required to complete a pre and post course evaluation survey.
- Sessions for ALL: Monday 21 August and 18 September
- Sessions for PRIMARY: 28 August and 4, 11 September
- Sessions for SECONDARY: 30 August, 6 & 13 September
- Time: 4pm – 6pm
- Cost: Free!