Me & You (disability) | 2020
A GROUP PROGRAM BASED ON THE SoSAFE! FRAMEWORK DESIGNED FOR 10 TO 14 YEAR OLDS WITH INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY AND/OR AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER AND THEIR CARERS.
ME & YOU is designed to help young people understand their bodies, their emotional and social needs, and relationships with other people. ME and YOU also builds skills and knowledge in parents/carers to enable them to support the developmental journey of the children they care for.
The program includes:
Group-based education learning for young participants focused on:
- Empowering interactions between children and their parents/carers
- Developing social skills and respectful relationships
- Understanding the concept of consent
- Identifying public and private body parts, places and behaviours
- How bodies grow and change
- Healthy and hygienic habits
- Protective behaviours to prevent abuse and stay healthy
Group based training for carers:
- Understanding and supporting children’s emotional and social needs related to puberty
- Enriching knowledge about sexual health and improving communication about sexuality with their children
- Strategies to maintain appropriate behaviours and healthy relationships
- Supporting children in controlling their emotions
The course consists of 4 x 3 hour sessions for young people and their parents/carers, and 2 group sessions for parents/carers only before and after the group sessions.
- Sessions: 2 x 2 hour group sessions for parents only plus 4 x 3 hour group sessions (parents + children)
- NDIS Categories Applicable: Improved Daily Living Skills
• NDIS capped maximum cost $1677.12
• NON-NDIS $1845 (GST included); Limited scholarships available
- Venue: SHFPACT (tbc). Please note that places are limited on this course to 6 individuals plus parent/carer.
Our April/May course has been postponed due to CONVID 19
Please stay tuned for new dates.
- 1,2,8 and 9 October 10:30 to 13:30.
Parent sessions 17 September and 22 October from 17:30 to 19:30