UNPLANNED PREGNANCY COUNSELLING SERVICE
SHFPACT offers a free Counselling service for women experiencing an Unplanned Pregnancy. This counselling service is funded by the ACT government.
The counselling provided is confidential, respectful, non-judgemental and non-directive, and aims to provide accurate information and support for women, as well as their partners and/or families if needed. The counselling is provided by experienced sexual & reproductive health nurses who have undertaken extra training in counselling. Referral to external counsellors can be made for more complex problems or for relationship issues as needed.
The counselling is client led and the counsellor is there to respond to the individual woman’s needs. Some of the reasons people may attend for counselling include counselling in relation to making a decision about an unplanned pregnancy, seeking accurate information about unplanned pregnancy and the options available, finding out what to do and where to go next, and support around dealing with a decision. All options can be explored and discussed in a safe environment as needed by the individual woman.
Information regarding termination of pregnancy services is provided as needed or requested by the woman. Post-termination counselling is also available for those women who may need support following a termination. Counselling appointments are an hour long and can be a one-off appointment, or several appointments as needed.
Call 6247 3077 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT UNPLANNED PREGNANCY
For information on all options and making a decision about an unplanned pregnancy see:
For accurate information on unplanned pregnancy/pregnancy options/abortion:
- Children by Choice: childrenbychoice.org.au
- Termination of pregnancy services in the ACT region:
- Gynaecology Centres Australia: gcaus.com.au
- Marie Stopes Australia: mariestopes.org.au/abortion
- Medical termination of pregnancy up to 9 weeks gestation can also be provided by some GPs who have undertaken specialised training. Ask your GP if they provide this service or call the SHFPACT Clinic on 02 6247 3077.
Parenting information and resources:
Adoption services in the ACT:
- Adoptions in the ACT are managed by ACT Government Community Services communityservices.act.gov.au/ocyfs/children/adoptions