Professor Susan R. Davis discusses several of the most common menopausal symptoms.
Find out how menopause may affect your life and what The Canberra Menopause Centre can do for you.
The transition to the menopause can vary in length depending on the woman but troubling symptoms can occur 1-3 years before the last period . In the postmenopausal phase of a woman’s life symptoms like hot flushes can continue for the first couple of years and beyond.
Unfortunately some women can experience hot flushes and night sweats well into their 60’s. For many women, these changes will have little impact on their lives; however, some women may experience symptoms severe enough to affect their health and well-being, and disrupt their lives. Some women might feel anxious about reaching the menopause and mourn the loss of their fertility and youth.
For others the menopause can mean a new lease of life, free from concerns about periods, premenstrual syndrome or pregnancy.
Find out how menopause may affect you and what we can do for you.
- How menopause may affect you - for example symptoms of hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia, mood changes, sexual difficulties.
- Information regarding beneficial lifestyle choices to improve cardiovascular health and bone health.
- The current understanding of the role of complementary and alternative therapies
- Assess and treat menopausal symptoms
- Give information about and prescribe hormone replacement therapy and non- hormonal prescription treatments for menopause symptoms
- Give information about and prescribe contraception for peri-menopausal clients
- With the clients consent – liase with your treating GP regarding the outcome of the consultation
- Follow up to assess effectiveness of treatment plan.
Anyone can make an appointment to come and see us. Clients can also be referred from their treating GP or they can self-refer. All appointments are client centred. We request that you complete a medical information questionnaire prior to attending the initial Drs appointment.