Pregnancy Options Counselling Service
SHFPACT offers a free pregnancy counselling and information service that covers all options. This counselling service is funded by the ACT government.
The counselling provided is confidential, respectful, non-judgemental and non-directive, and aims to provide accurate information and support for clients, as well as their partners and/or families if needed. The counselling is provided by experienced counsellors who have undertaken extra training. Referral to external counsellors can be made for more complex problems or for relationship issues as needed.
The counselling is client-led, and the counsellor is there to respond to the individual's needs.
Some of the reasons people may attend for counselling include:
- Trying to make a decision about the whether or not to continue a pregnancy.
- Seeking accurate information about the options available, including continuing the pregnancy and parenting, abortion, adoption and kinship care.
- Finding out what to do and where to go next aif they have made a decision.
- Support around dealing with a decision.
- Post-abortion counselling for those clients who may need support following an abortion.
All options can be explored and discussed in a safe environment as required by the individual client.
Information regarding abortion services is provided as needed or requested.
Counselling appointments are an hour long and can be a one-off appointment, or several appointments as needed.
Call 6247 3077 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT PREGNANCY OPTIONS
For information on all options and making a decision about an unintended pregnancy see:
For accurate information on unintended pregnancy/pregnancy options/abortion:
- Children by Choice: childrenbychoice.org.au
- Termination of pregnancy services in the ACT region:
- Gynaecology Centres Australia: gcaus.com.au
- Marie Stopes Australia: mariestopes.org.au/abortion
- Medical termination of pregnancy up to 9 weeks gestation can also be provided by some GPs who have undertaken specialised training. Ask your GP if they provide this service or call the SHFPACT Clinic on 02 6247 3077.
Parenting information and resources:
Adoption services in the ACT:
- Adoptions in the ACT are managed by ACT Government Community Services communityservices.act.gov.au/ocyfs/children/adoptions
- Created on .
- Last updated on .